Translate

Friday, 4 December 2015

Happiness is a raw vegan cheese cake

Duuh. It's been so long since I posted - but this time I have a darn good excuse for it!
I returned to my home in the Palatine Forest in Germany after 28 months of roaming Sri Lanka, Bali and Australia. Because I wanted to surprise my family, I didn't write about my plans on this blog here (knowing that my Mama is my most zealous reader).

But before I tell about the adventure of being back in my oh-so-familiar home territory, I HAVE to write about the last time in Hermannsburg and that wonder-filled week in Brisbane!

Annual event: the horse races in Hermannsburg.


So, I was working in Hermannsburg, happily enjoying the desert and anticipating my first experience of DRY 40 degree heat... which never came, because I had my flight to Brisbane booked for the 24 October - and when I left it wasn't that hot yet.


I found the sweetest little ginger kitten, and instantly knew he has to be "Ed" ... how could there be any other name for anything that's male and ginger, if you are an Ed Sheeran fan. Within days I loved  this baby cattie way too much, but of course I couldn't keep him. So he went to RSPCA (where homeless animals go in Australia) and, from what I've heard, has found a good home. All the best, crazy little cat called Ed!




A couple of days before I left, good old travel mate Pumpkin also hit the road, this time in his newly bought own vehicle. For 5 months he was with me almost 24/7, and we've been through some really crazy shit and many an adventure together. God, it was weird to just not have his freckly face around anymore. I even missed his stupid comments.
Here my fav 3 photos of us. Love you little brother, all the best.


 



Then, after saying Goodbye to all the gorgeous Hermannsburg people who have been so good to me... there was a plane to Brisbane to catch with wonderful Sonya waiting to pick me up!

Sonya and Russell, amazing athletes and health foodists, have been up to quite something since I left Brisbane! They opened a little raw vegan health food shop/cafe and I think it is SO AWESOME!



They are so dedicated to spreading the knowledge of how important for the planet and beneficial for oneself a plant based diet is. The shop looks so charming and they spend all their time prepping food, holding workshops, making Do-It-Yourself-Kits and talking to interested people... and the food is so delidious.  Just look at it and imagine - who says a vegan's tastebuds have to miss out on anything?







Sunday morning on the markets, a familiar fellow walked into Russell's and Sonya's shop. Ian McKee from Mt. Mee!
He gave me a lift up the mountain and we spent the afternoon taking a walk to a hidden waterfall that is very close to Ian's house, but no one but the cows ever goes there. Oh, and the geckos, of course.




The following day we spent leisurely hanging out on the sunny beaches of Caloundra and climbed Mt. Ngunngun for sunset. Good shot Ian!


Since I last saw Ian in February, he had to get rid of his dogs, but got a kitten instead. And then the kitten had kittens! Due to the snakes, only one survived... I felt honoured when Zoey the Mama cat carried her baby into my lap. Awww.






Then it was time to catch up with Dom again. For on and off one year we were sharing house and going on adventures together, and me leaving this happy life behind in February wasn't very pleasant for both of us. Since then, so much has changed!

He who always hated living on a square block of suburbia got up and sold his house in Buddina. Even though it was next to the beach, you had yappy dogs and neighbours encircling you and your little garden - when all Dom ever dreamed of was a bush property where one can life among trees and grow kilograms of healthy vegetables... catch your own rainwater and get your power from solar panels on the roof.

And that is exactly what he does now! His wooden house is surrounded by rainforest on the mountainrange, there is a little pond and further down the mountain, a little creek that trickles from waterfall into rocky pools where no one ever goes. His own swimming hole behind the house!
We think he is living in paradise.




Kookaburras call the place their home, too.


Could there be a nicer backyard?






Then I went back the way I came - to Ian (we went for another hike to the famous Rocky Hole), to Sonya&Russell at the markets in Petrie Town, to the airport... all the way back to Frankfurt, Germany.

No comments:

Post a Comment