Translate

Sunday, 23 August 2015

Roady in photo frames



Hello out there! I am so far behind with this blog. It's like a month a go since I travelled with Laurie my car and the travel mate Pumpkin up from Adelaide to Coober Pedy, Uluru, Kings Canyon and eventually Alice Springs. I walked the Larapinta Trail and haven't had any time and internet to write.
So you will just get a bunch of photos now! Not that any of you really mind, I guess :D 

In a couple of days I'll publish something about the Larapinta Trail though, and that will be a bit more wordy.


In Coober Pedy we were taken in by Peter, a German man who moved to Australia when he was a kid, but was most happy to speak German to me and tell me of his past. He used to be an Opal miner and now lives in his dugout on Ice Cream hill with his dog.


In Coober Pedy, most of the buildings are underneath the ground, where it's cooler. It's a quite desolate, remote and strange place... nobody would ever settle in the middle of dry hot desert if it wasn't for the opal stones that hide in the ground.

This is the local underground church.









Spot the Big Red?



Wedge-tail Eagles having a feast on some roadkill on the side of the highway


Mt Conner


We had a lot of fun


A little desert dragon



And there. Australia's most famous tourist attraction: Uluru





Kata Tjuta, some 50km north west of Uluru







In King's Canyon... so much fun getting lost between the rocks, it's like a labyrinth for little (or big) kids to play in













An old Ford Falcon...  let's hope Laurie doesn't end up like this!



The road, the road, the road... disappearing on the horizon


Sturt Desert Pea


Dingo-coloured rocks in King's Canyon


Once a massive salt lake, now just a dried-up, sparkling salt pan...





No comments:

Post a Comment